This week we are celebrating a whopping ten years of blogging. We were informed by WordPress that it was our ten year anniversary, we hadn’t given the blogging time scales much thought to be fair, as it’s now deep within the Mustang Maniac ethos, we show you what we do. This is our five hundred and sixty second post, an achievement for any blog. So we thank our behind the scenes media team that look after our Website, Blog and our social media activities. Above all, a big thank you to all our readers, followers and customers for being with us on this evolving journey, here’s to the next ten years.
We have had a delivery of stock where Adam has been appointed as another authorised supplier, that of course means even more choice for our customers. With the May bank holiday tomorrow in the UK and the King Charles III coronation we have a couple of short weeks to look forward to, not that anything Mustang Maniac stops behind the scenes. The WebShop will still be open, but there could be delays with postage.
We have a ’67 in with us from a loyal customer that needs the next phase of work doing to it. Previously we sorted out the front end for various issues including the dreaded metal worm, now we are working on the back end.
The reason is that there are some rust spots getting worse that didn’t look right or feel right to the touch. We had been given the go ahead to strip down and see what lurks beneath the skin. We already knew that we are going to replace the rear quarters on each side before we started. The quarters were very thin with some tell tale spots under the paint bubbling up and that always means trouble in our experience.
As the layers were stripped away it became clear that there has been some previous attempts to repair the car.
What we didn’t cater for was the bits of fibre glass falling out exposing more than we expected. But, our first gut reaction something wasn’t quite right was confirmed.
By the time you patch and fabricate the the new metal, it’s just as just as cost effective and better in the long run to swap out for new metal. Yes we have a supply of sheet metal, but most of it has already been allocated to future jobs coming up.
The inner wheel housings also needs to be replaced for the same patchwork repairs, the same on both sides.
We had to keep going further and further back into the panels to find out where the bad metal finished.
With the back of the car’s outer skin removed we exposed the trunk drop off’s which will need to replaced as well.
Working towards the front on the sills we removed more and more bad metal.
The sills weren’t the worst we have seen by a long way. But, a structural part of the car needs to be very sound for any repairs to be made to them. It’s also easily visible where the fibre glass has been attached.
These repairs will require some old school fabrication and some Yogi magic. As we have said many times before on our posts – nothing we haven’t seen before and nothing that can’t be fixed.
We will bring more updates on this little lady as we go along.
Adam has joined forces with BlueCol to supply their products, click here for the link. The first batch of stock has arrived with us and the WebShop has been updated.
Just because it says antifreeze, these products also act as a coolant too.
Stay Safe & Take Care!
Here is to at least another 2 decades !bruceschlein
LikeLiked by 1 person
We hope to be retired by then, but we here what you’re saying and thank you.
Guys who in their right minds repairs rust with fibreglass!!! And surely that car did not get through an MOT test……goodness.
LikeLiked by 1 person