First up we apologise for no post last week as our blog editor had to go away unexpectedly, so wasn’t able to do the post for us. Anyway we’re back for another instalment.
We was asked to refresh a 428 Cobra Jet engine which has been now almost been completed apart from going back into the car.
The engine was stripped down with the manifolds removed, blasted and coated, new sump and water pump. The engine was painted with contrasting exhaust manifolds.
The valve covers were blasted, painted and then sanded to show the relief detail again.
The before on top and after below. The difference is subtle, but when it’s all back in the engine bay it just looks fresher, but not out of place. If they don’t look radically different you may say. Well in that case we have achieved the goal, keeping it all in style – just refreshed.
With the engine completed we can start to bolt the other parts and plumbing in place.
’66 Bad Starting
With bad cold starting this is a time consuming problem to diagnose. The reason being you have to let the engine get fully cold before trying to find the problem. Once it eventually fires the issue disappears and you have to wait again for a cold start up.
We diagnosed the initial problem down to a fuel supply from the carb squirter, this had perished and was leaking. E10 fuel? Nothing conclusive from just looking at it, but the leak was a little clue. We took the carb squirt diaphragm out and replaced it and starting was much more positive, but still not right.
We now had fuel when and where we wanted it, so now it was down to electrics or timings. We checked the HEI distributor and discovered the distributor module was intermittent compounding the problems. We pulled one from stock, a like for like swap out and fitted it with base engine timings. The car then burst into life and problem solved after a couple of minor fettling adjustments. The big advantage with this style distributor is that it only needs a live feed in.
With the main starting problems sorted, the car was in for a few other things; the inner door latches needed replacing to the correct ones.
The doors were put back together and new weather seal was fitted.
Last but not least was the Borgeson power steering conversion. Often mentioned as one of the best upgrades to go on a classic Mustang. Out with the old on the left and the new one in place on the right.
Lots of work, but this will feel like a different car when the owner takes her back home.
We are excited to announce that we now have our own branded oil filter FL1A which is made by the same manufacturer to the exact same standards as the originals. But our filters are for sale at cost saving on the branded originals. These filters will fit 1964 – 1988 any style.
Stay Safe & Take Care!